is a market and union town, head of a petty sessional division and county court district, and is seated near the rivulets Slade and Frome and intersected by the Thames and Severn Canal; it is 10 miles south from Gloucester, 13 south-west from Cheltenham, 30 north-east from Bristol, 12 north-west from Cirencester and 102 from London, with a station on the Swindon and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway, and a station on a branch from Stonehouse on the Bristol and Birmingham section of the Midland railway, in the Mid division of the county, Bisley hundred, and in the rural deanery of Bisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. Stroud originally formed part of the parish of Bisley, but was separated from it in the reign of Edward II. The borough formerly returned two members to Parliament, but under the provisions of the "Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885", it was merged in the Stroud or Mid-Gloucestershire division.
Stroud, from its position on the side of a spur of the Cotswold Hills, is a long and straggling town, commanding varied and extensive views, and the neighbourhood comprises many points of interest.
The town was formerly governed by a Local Board of Health of 18 members, established in 1857, but under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73) it is now controlled by an Urban District Council of 18 members, and includes Uplands, a civil parish. Under the direction of the late Board a system of drainage has been completed, at a cost of nearly £9,000: sewage works have been constructed at the outfall, on the bank of the canal, and the solid sewage is sold in a prepared form as manure. The waterworks, now the property of the Urban District Council, afford an ample supply of pure water, which is conveyed into three reservoirs, two at the upper and the other at the lower portion of the town; in 1884 a new covered reservoir was constructed at a cost of £4,000, and will hold 2,250,000 gallons. The gasworks, established in 1833, and belonging to a private company, supply a large area, some parts of which are six or eight miles distant.
Places of worship, with times of Service
The parish church of St. Lawrence (High street), rebuilt, with the exception of the tower and spire in 1868, at a cost of about £12,000, is an edifice of Bisley stone, with dressings and internal work of Bath and Painswick stone, in the Gothic style of the 14th century, from the designs of Messrs Wilson and Wilcox, architects of Bath, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, transept, aisles, sacristy, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 10 bells, and a clock with chimes; the tower and spire were repaired in 1897 at an estimated cost of £400; all the fittings are of English oak: there are several stained windows given by the families in the neighbourhood, and one by the children of the parish: the pulpit and font are executed chiefly in alabaster and Painswick stone, with inlays of rich marbles; the principal carvings were executed by the late Joshua Wall, a talented local sculptor: the foundation stone was laid by the late W. H. Stanton esq. November 7, 1866, and the church was consecrated on August 4 1868, by the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; there are 1,000 sittings, of which 800 are free. The register dates from the year 1624. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £427, which includes 55 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1892 by the Rev. George Fox, BA, LL.B of the University of London, hon. canon of Gloucester, and surrogate. Rev. Leonard Rhawick Streatfeild BA is curate. Services: 8 & 11 a.m.& 3 & 6.30 p.m.; daily prayer, 10 a.m.; wed. & fri 11 a.m.
Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish, formed March 4, 1879, and includes the upper part of the town, and the district of Thrupp. The church of The Holy Trinity, at Whitehall, erected in 1838, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave and two small turrets at the west end, one of which contains 1 bell; in 1883 the chancel was decorated and a new organ erected at a cost of £500: during 1884 the nave was re-seated, decorated, partly re-floored and new windows put in at a cost of £1,800: there are 900 sittings, 400 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1879. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £370, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Edward Hugh Hawkins M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin: the vicarage house, in Whitehall, was presented in 1882 by the Rev. G. T. B. Ormerod M.A.. of Thrupp, near Stroud. Rev. Francis Ralph Thurlow, B.A. is curate. Services: 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily prayer, 11 a.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.
In connection with Holy Trinity church are parish rooms, erected in 1884, at a cost of £2,500, from the designs of Mr. WiIliam H. C. Fisher, of Stroud; these were the gift of the Rev. G. T. B. Ormerod M.A. of Thrupp, near Stroud. and are used for Sunday school and other purposes.
All Saints, Stroud End, Uplands, is an iron church originally built by private generosity for the use of the inhabitants living adjacent, and for the workpeople employed at the mills near it, but the district in which it stands has been incorporated as part of the ecclesiastical parish of The Slad, formed December 17, 1844; the church will seat 350 persons. Rev. John Bevan M.A. is vicar. Services: 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; week days, 8 a.m. (except wed. & fri); 11 a.m. wed. & fri.; tues. 7.30 p.m.
The Catholic church, Beeches green, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, was built by the Dominicans, and opened by the late Cardinal Wiseman in 1859. It is an edifice in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, east and west aisles, chapel of St. Lawrence and a spacious sacristy: in 1887 representations of the 14 "Stations of the Cross," carved in stone with alabaster frames by Alfred Wall, of Cheltenham, were placed in the church. and three stained windows have been inserted: there are sittings for about 400 persons: the Rev. James Lawrence Peach O.P. is the resident priest. Mass, 8 a.m. (1st sunday in the month & 10.30 a.m.; daily mass, 7.30 a.m. (in the convent); benediction, thurs. 7.30 p.m.
The Dominican convent of St. Rose of Lima consists of a community of choir and lay sisters, who are engaged in teaching and visiting the sick and poor. A new chapel was erected in 1889; a boarding school for young ladies and a schooI for children of the working classes are maintained in the convent; chaplain, Rev. James Lawrence Peach O.P. There are three branch houses belonging to this convent, one at Newcastle-on-Tyne, one at Erdington, near Birmingham, and one at Cheadle, North Staffordshire. The sisters of this convent also teach in the Mission schools attached to the church.
In the town are two Congregational chapels, one in Old Chapel street, with 650 sittings (Rev. Richard Myrtle Ross; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.) and the other in Bedford street, seating 900 (Rev. George Barrett; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.).
There are two Baptist chapels, one in John street, with 750 sittings (Rev. Charles Alfred Davis; services: 11 a.m.. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; mon 7 p.m), and the other in Lansdown with 340 sittings (Rev. L. Wilson Huffenden; 11 a.m & 6.30 p.m.; thurs, 7.30 p.m)
The Wesleyan chapel, with 750 sittings, is in Castle street (Rev. William Allen; 10.30 a.m & 6.30 p.m.; tues. 7.30 p.m) and the Primitive Methodist chapel is in Parliament street, seating 400 (Rev. N. Watts; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m)
The Plymouth Brethren have rooms in Acre street (meetings: 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; mon & wed. 7.30 p.m). There is a Jewish synagogue, currently without a rabbi. The Salvation Army is in Acre street, services at 11 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 p.m. The Latter day Saints meet at Lansdown Hall, 6.30 p.m.
Public buildings, etc
The Cemetery in Bisley road, on elevated and sloping ground near the union house, was formed in 1855, enlarged in 1870, and again enlarged in 1892; the whole now covers an area of 11 acres, and is now under the control of a Joint Burial Committee of 13 members, 7 from Stroud Urban District Council, and 2 each from the parish councils of Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Thrupp, and Whiteshill. There are two mortuary chapels. Frederick Winterbotham is clerk to the Joint Burial Committee for Stroud, Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Thrupp & Whiteshill; George Holmes is supt
The Town Hall in the Market place, first erected at the end of the 16th century, is a building in the Elizabethan style; the hall itself was thoroughly restored in 1865 and will hold 300 persons. The County Court and the meetings of the Urban District Council are held here.
The Subscription Rooms in George street, built in 1834, include a large room, 70 by 43 ft. used for lectures, public meetings, dinners and entertainments, and will hold 1,000 persons. The Stroud Club occupy the remainder or the premises. Two lodges of Freemasons and one Royal arch chapter are held here.
The Liberal Club, formed in 1892, occupies premises in Lansdown, the property of a Limited Company; there are billiard, reading, card and recreation rooms and refreshment bar; the club has now (1901) about 400 members. The Mid Gloucester Conservative and Unionist Club, also the property of a Limited Company, is a building of stone, erected in 1895-6; there are meeting and dining rooms, 2 billiard and card rooms, a room for ladies, refreshment bar and secretary's office. The total cost of the building was about £3,500; the Club has now (1901), about 1,000 members: near the club stands a life size white marble statue of the late George Holloway esq. M.P. who died 20th August, 1892. The cost, about £1,100, was defrayed by public subscription.
The Science and Art Schools situated in Lansdown, and erected in 1900, at a total cost of £10,000, are of local freestone, in the Gothic style; the principal front is adorned with a series of finely executed figures illustrative of the arts and sciences.
The Capital and Counties Bank Limited is in High street. The premises of Lloyds Bank Limited are in Rowcroft. The Wilts and Dorset Banking Company Limited occupy premises recently erected (1901) in George and RusseIl streets.
The Free Library in Lansdown, opened September 15, 1888, is a building of stone and comprises news and reading rooms and a library now (1901) containing over 4,400 volumes. The building was presented to the town by the late J. G. Strachan esq. J.P, of Farm Hill Park, who also defrayed the cost of structural alterations, the remainder of the necessary funds being raised by subscriptions. Henry Twissell is librarian.
The district of Stroud is the principal seat of the West of England cloth manufacture, the goods produced here being widely celebrated. There are a large number of very extensive mills owned by wealthy manufacturers and employing several thousand hands; the broad cloth produced is celebrated all over the world, and the report of the jurors of the International Exhibition gave it the preference over all rivals. Scarlet dyeing has also, from time immemorial, been a speciality of this valley, the water being believed to possess some peculiarity which imparts a tone of colour unequalled elsewhere. The factories and dyehouses are clustered in the valleys of Stroud, Chalford, Nailsworth, Stanley and Ebley. Extensive breweries, flour mills, iron foundries, pin, umbrella and stick factories and several saw mills are also maintained ; wood turning and carpet weaving are carried on, and a large business, employing some thousands of hands, is done in the wholesale ready-made clothing trade.
A small market is held on Friday and Saturday.
Three weekly newspapers are published here every Friday: "Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser" (established in 1867), "Stroud Journal" (established in 1854) and "Stroud Weekly Press". Two evening papers have branch offices in the town. The "Gloucester Citizen" has a branch office in London road, and the "Gloucester Echo" a branch office in Russsell street.
Stroud General Hospital, near Trinity church, is an edifice erected in 1875 at a cost of £8,754, and takes the place of the old hospital and infirmary, which formerly existed in George street, and was founded in 1790: the institution, with the exception of a small nucleus of invested funds, is supported by voluntary contributions; it is available for 35 patients. During the year 1900, 387 in-patients and 2,573 out-patients were under treatment. Surgeons: Alfred Square Cooke, M.R.C.S.Eng.; Fredk. William Storry, L.R.C.P.Edin., M.R.C.S.Eng. & Albert Barnes Davies, L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Hon assistant surgeon: Alfred W. Waller, L.R.C.P.Lond. House surgeon: William Morgan James, M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. Matron: Miss Margaret Russell.
A Joint Hospital Board for Infectious Diseases has been formed of 12 members, 4 each from Stroud Urban, Stroud Rural & Nailsworth Urban District Councils. The Isolation Hospital is an iron structure at Bisley-with-Lypiatt; Fredk. Winterbotham, clerk, Rowcroft; Albert Bailey, inspector, Rowcroft.
The charities, amounting to about £600 a year, are applied to the repairs of the parish church and the education and maintenance of poor boys and the relief of the poor.
Farm Hill Park is the residence of Charles Peter Allen esq. M.P.; Farm Hill House is the residence of Mrs. Holloway; and Stratford Park is the residence of Mrs. Lort Phillips.
The trustees of the late George Holloway esq. M.P. (d. 1892), the trustees of the late Henry Wyatt esq. and William Clutterbuck Chambers, of Thrupp House, are the principal landowners.
The area of the parish is about 2,898 acres, including 26 acres of water; rateable value, 34,643; the population in 1901, induding 18 officers and 180 inmates in the workhouse and 50 in the hospital. was about 11,000. The area of the Stroud urban district is 1,169 acres; rateable value, £39,988; the population of Stroud in 1901 was 9,181.
UPLANDS is a civil parish in Stroud union, ecclesiastically annexed to The Slad, but included within the Urban District of Stroud and School Board District of Painswick. The area is 200 acres; assessable value, £5,688.
Under the "Divided Parishes Act" portions of Stroud have been transferred to the parishes of Bisley, Randwick, Standish and Stonehouse, and portions of the parishes of Randwick and Standish added to Stroud.
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B.. Express Delivery, Parcel Post & Insurance & Annuity Office, Russell street. Kenard Kempsell is postmaster.
Office Open: For sale of postage stamps, post cards, newspapers wrappers, & sale & payment of postal orders, registration of letters & delivery to callers, week days, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; sundays. 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. (except for sale of postal orders). Money orders, savings bank, insurance & annuity business, week days, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Telegraphic business, 8 a.m.. to 9 p.m.: sundays. 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Dispatches: Week Days:
- Bristol, Stonehouse & South of England, 3.45 a.m.
- Tetbury & Local Mails, including Town Delivery No. 1, 5.45 a.m.
- London & places passing through, 7.50 a.m
- Gloucester, 8.45 a.m
- London, 9.15 a.m.
- Gloucester, Bristol & Nailsworth & Town Delivery No. 2, 9.50 a.m.
- London, Swindon, Chippenham &c, 11.45 a.m.
- Gloucester, Hereford, South Wales, Cheltenham & Bristol, 12.50 p.m.
- Local Day Mails, 1.35 p.m.
- Town Delivery No. 3, 1.55 p.m.
- Stonehouse, 2.15 p.m.
- London, Oxford, Cirencester &c, 2.40 p.m.
- Cheltenham, Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester, Malvern &c, 2.40 p.m.
- Birmingham, 2.50 p.m.
- Bristol, 4.10 p.m.
- Gloucester & Cheltenham, 5.15 p.m.
- North Mail - London, East & South-West of England (with extra stamp. 6.50 p.m.), 6.30 p.m.
- Town Delivery No. 4, 7.15 p.m.
- Bath, Bristol, Chippenham & West of England generally (with extra stamp, 10.20 p.m.), 10 p.m.
- London & North, South & East of England, Swindon, Cirencester, Oxford, Reading &c, 12 midnight
- Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Gloucester, Cheltenham & South Wales, 11.30 p.m.
- All parts of the North of England, Ireland & Scotland, 6.30 p.m. (with extra stamp, 6.50 p.m.)
- All parts of the South of England, 10 p.m. (with extra stamp. 10.20 p.m.)
- Bristol, Bath, Hereford & West of England, 10 p.m. (with extra stamp. 10.20 p.m.)
- Cheltenham, Gloucester, South Wales, Birmingham, Manchester & Liverpool, 11.30 p.m.
- London, Cirencester, Swindon, Oxford, Reading, North, South & East of England, 12 midnight.
Deliveries at 7 & 10 a.m.& 2 & 7.30 p.m. On sundays there is one delivery only, commencing at 7 a.m.
Letters to be registered must be given in at the office half-an-hour previous to the closing of the box, or they may be posted till the closing of the box on the payment of double registration fee.
Parcel Post: Dispatches at 9.50 & 11.45 a.m. & 12.50, 1.35, 6.30, 7.15 & 9 p.m; Deliveries at 7 & 10 a.m. & 2 & 7.30 p.m
Town Sub-Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Offices:
Middle street: John Allen. Box cleared at 8.40 & 11.30 a.m. & 12.30, 1.50. 6.25 & 9.55 p.m.; sundays, 5.55 p.m
Bowbridge: George Butt. (Telegraph, T. M. O. & Express Delivery Office). Letter Box cleared at 11.20 a.m. & 1.30, 6.10, 8 & 9.20 p.m.; sundays. 6.10 p.m.
Whitehall: Arthur Hy. Brinkworth. Letter Box cleared at 8.35 & 11.25 a.m. & 12.25, 1.45, 6.20 & 9.50 p.m. ; sundays, 5.50 p.m
Uplands: Miss Eliza Jefferies. Letter Box cleared at 11.10 a.m. & 12.5, 1.30, 6.15 & 9.35 p.m.; sundays. 5.35 p.m
Post Office, Pagan hill: Mrs. Elizabeth Beck. Letter Box cleared at 9.25 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; sundays, 10.30 a.m
County magistrates for stroud petty sessional division
- Hyett, Francis Adams esq., B.A., Painswick house, Stroud, chairman
- Dorington, Sir John Edward bart., M.P., M.A., D.L., Lypiatt park, Stroud
- Apperly, Alfred esq., Rodborough court, Stroud
- Capel, Lieut.-Col. William, The Grove, Stroud
- Cartwright, Marcus Gage esq., The Gables, Slad rd, Stroud
- Ellicott, His Honor Judge Arthur Becher, B.A., The Culls, Stroud
- Kimmins, Jas. Chas. esq., Lightpill ho. Rodborough Stroud
- Herbert, William Hawkins, Paradise house, Painswick Stroud
- Little, John Caruthers esq., Pitchcombe house, Stroud
- Little, Edward Caruthers esq., Tracey house, Cheltenham
- Little, Lieut-Col. John Caruthers, Pitchcombe, Stroud
- Marshall, Mark Bell esq., Northfields, Stroud
- Percival, Edward Hope esq., Kimsbury house, Upton St. Leonards, Gloucester
- Sibree, John esq. M.A., 71 Rugby road, Leamington, Warwickshire
- Stanton, Charles Holbrow esq., M.A., Field place, Whiteshill, Stroud
- Stanton, Walter Jobn esq., Stratford lodge, Stroud
- Winterbotham, Edward W.esq., Bank house, High st., Stroud
The chairmen of the Urban & Rural District Councils are ex-officio magistrates. Clerk to the Magistrates, Edward Charles Davis, Rowcroft, Stroud. Petty Sessions are held at the Town Hall every friday at 11 a.m.
Parishes comprised in the division of Stroud : -Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Chalford, Cranham, Miserden, Painswick, Pitchcombe, Rodborough, Stroud, Thrupp, Uplands & Whiteshill.
There is a police station & a magistrates' office at Badbrook & used as an occasional court house where minor cases are adjudicated upon daily.
Urban district council
Offices: Town Hall. Members: Chairman, G.J. Holloway; Vice-Chairman, S.J. Dudbridge
(Retire in April, 1904): Stephen James Dudbridge, George John Holloway, Mark Bell Marshall, William Thomas Sims, Joseph Bown, George Wm. Goodsell, Edwd. Frank Sergeant, Cornelius Williams, John Swanson, Robert Edward Stuart, Wm. David Farrar, Rev. Edward Hugh Hawkins, Charles Lambert, Wm. Coward, Walter Hobbs, Charles Peter Allen, James Henry Tratt, Thomas James Clarke.
Officers: Clerk, Percy Witchell, solicitor, Lansdown; Treasurer, Arthur Dunsford, Lloyds Bank, Rowcroft; Medical Officer of Health, Thomas Partridge, M.R.C.P. Irel, Bowbridge house; Surveyor, George P. Milnes, Town hall; Sanitary Inspector, William Parsons, Town hall; Rate Collector, John Henry Wilson, Town hall
Stroud rural district council
Meets every alternate friday at the Stroud Guardians' Board Room, John street, at 3 p.m. Clerk, Frederick Winterbotham, Rowcroft; Treasurer, Edward Weedon Winterbotham, Capital & Counties Bank, High street; Medical Officer of Health, J, M. Martin, Rowcroft, Stroud; Sanitary Inspectors, Albert Bailey, Bellevue road & John Hall, Poundfield, Stonehouse; Surveyor, Josiah E. Haynes, Union offices, Stroud
County Court, His Honor Arthur Beecher Ellicott B.A. judge; Alfred John Morton Ball, registrar & high bailiff; John Roberts, clerk. The court is held at the Town hall monthly, on tuesdays. The district embraces the parishes of Amberley, Avening, Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Brimscombe, Bussage, Cainscross, Chalford, Cranham, Horsley, King Stanley, Leonard Stanley, Minchinhampton, Miserden, Nailsworth. Painswick, Stroud, Thrupp, Uplands, Whiteshill & Woodchester. For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of Gloucester; Charles Scott, County chambers, Station road, Gloucester, official receiver.
Certified Bailiffs under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act," Peter Ireland, Bisley Old road, Stroud & George Jones, Minchinhampton, Stroud.
County Police Station, Gloucester st. William Harrison, superintendent, 2 sergeants & 8 men.
Fire Brigade (Urban District Council), Market place, Jesse Tanner, captain, & 9 men.
Fire Brigade (Volunteer), Market place, Philip Ford, capt. & 11 men; attached to this brigade is a fire escape, capable of extending 45 feet, & kept in the Market place.
Inland Revenue Office, 2 Threadneedle street, Edward J. G. Cockett, supervisor; James Murray & Duncan MacMillan, officers.
Public Weighbridge, Rowcroft, Henry Newman, weigher.
Stroud Incorporated Chamber of Commerce, 1 Lansdown, Edward Northam Witchell, sec.
Stroudwater Navigation Co. & Thames & Severn Canal (The property of the Gloucestershire County Council), Lower wharf, Wallbridge, William James Snape, mgr.
Subscription Rooms, George street, Henry J. Twitchett, resident manager; F. Winterbotham, hon. sec.
Town Hall, Market place, John Elliott, manager.
- 1st Gloucestershire Royal Engineers (H Co.); Capt. C. A. Apperley; Surgeon-Capt. W. B. Fergusson, medical officer.
- 2nd Volunteer Battalion Gloucester Regiment (C Co.), Drill hall, Bowling green, Captain Samuel Stanley Marling; Col.-Sergt. Frederick Hambidge, drill instructor; Richard Knight, bandmaster.
The union comprises the parishes of Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Cainscross, Chalford, Cranham, Horsley, Leonard Stanley, King Stanley, Minchinhampton, Miserden, Nailsworth, Painswick, Pitchcombe, Rodborough, Randwick, Stonehouse, Stroud, Thrupp, Uplands, Whiteshill & Woodchester. The population of the Union in 1901 was 41,347; area, 38,041 acres; rateable value in 1901, £148,097.
Board day, friday, at the Board room, John street, Stroud at 2 p.m. fortnightly.
Chairman of Guardians, E. Playne esq. Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Fredk. Winterbotham, solicitor, Rowcroft, Stroud. Treasurer, Edward Weedon Winterbotham, Capital & Counties Bank, High street. Relieving & Inquiry Officers & Collectors to the Guardians, No. 1 district, Edward Holland. Bisley road, Stroud; No. 2 district, I. W. Cleaver, Bisley; No. 3 district, Charles H. Chandler, Nailsworth, Stroud. Vaccination Officers, George O. Elliott, Exchange buildings, Stroud; &: John Hall, Stonehouse.
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, No. 1 district, Martin A. Cooke (medical officer only), Lansdown, Stroud & Alfred Square Cooke M.R.C.S.Eng. (public vaccinator only), Badbrook house, Stroud; No. 2 district, George Thomas Brown Watters M.D. Stonehouse; No. 3 district; Charles John Power M.D. Nailsworth; .No. 4 district, Basil Church, Minchinhampton; No. 5 district, F. A.. Hill. Chalford; No. 6 district, William Balfour Ferguson M.D. Painswick.
Superintendent Registrar, William Warman, 1 Rowcroft, Stroud; deputy, Frederick Madge, 1 Rowcroft, Stroud.
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Bisley sub-district, J. W. Cleaver, Bisley; deputy, Archibald A. Chew, Bisley; Horsley sub-district, Charles H.. Chandler, Bath road. Nailsworth; deputy, Lemuel Price, Nailsworth; Minchinhampton sub-district, Fenning Ebenezer Jones, Minchinhampton; deputy Mrs. Marion Louise Jones; Painswick sub-district, Clement Birt, Painswick; deputy, Mrs. Emily Keziah Birt, Painswick; Stonehouse sub-district, Archie Milton Boucher, Stonehouse; deputy, Miss Grace L. Boucher, Stonehouse; Stroud sub-district, Edward Holland, Bisley road, Stroud; deputy. Charles W. Holland, Stroud; Rodborongb sub-district, George Chandler, Stansfields, Rodborough; deputy, George E. Chandler, Stanfields, Rodborough.
Registrars of Marriage, Frederick C. Davis, Nailsworth; deputy, Frank A. Davis, Nailsworth; Fred C. Smart, deputy, James H. Smart, Chalford; William Collins, 21 King street, Stroud; deputy, Sidney Smith, Uplands, Stroud; Henry Jefferies Ebley, deputy, Wm. Knight, Dudbridge; Clement Birt, Painswick; Isaac M. Shane, secretary of Synagogue, for Jewish marriage returns, Stroud.
Workhouse, built in 1837, and will hold 270 inmates; Leonard Parsons, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Parsons, matron; Rev. Edward Hugh Hawkins M.A.. chaplain; Alfred Square Cooke, medical officer; the children are sent out to school.
- Assessor & Collector of Income Taxes, George O. Elliott, Exchange buildings
- Assistant Overseer & Collector of Poor's Rates, Charles William Holland, 3 Lansdown
- Certifying Factory Surgeon, Harry Lonis Preston Hardy M.D., 11 Rowcroft
- Clerk to the Joint Burial Committee of Stroud, Thrupp, Whiteshill & Lypiatt, & to the Stroud, Chalford, Painswick & Rodborough School Boards & to the Marling School Governors, Frederick Winterbotham, 5 Rowcroft
- Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes, Edward Charles Davis, Rowcroft
- Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes for Whitstone District & to the Guardians of Wheatenhurst union, Robt. Edward Stuart, Bedford street
- Coroner for the Stroud & Cirencester Division of the County, AIfred John Morton Ball, The Green, Stroud; deputy, Richard Henry Smith, George street
- Inspector of Weights & Measures, Albert C. Jones, Newnham-on-Severn
- Superintendent of Police, William Harrison, Police station, Gloucester street
- Town Crier, George Bates, 4 Wallbridge court
- Vestry Clerk, Edwin Holland, 3 Lansdown
The Marling School, originated by Sir Samuel S. Marling bart. whose wishes have been carried out by his children, Sir William Hy. Marling bart. Captain Walter Bentley Marling & Mrs. A. Robertson, has heen establisbed as a middle class school by a scheme framed under the Endowed Scbools Act, dated 28th November, 1887: the foundation consists of £10,500, contributed by tbe persons above named, a sum of £7,696 16s. 4d. invested in Consols & other funds known as the Feoffees' charity, Watts' charity, Webb's charity, Wyndowe's charity, John's charity, Hawker's charity, Aldridge's charity & Aldridge's Trafalgar charity; attached to the school is the Dickinson Scholarship, founded by Mrs. Dickinson in memory of her late husband: the school buildings, erected in 1889, from designs by Mr. W. H. Seth-Smith, architect, occupy an admirable site in the Cainscross road, & comprise a large central hall, with class rooms, sanatorium, workshops, gymnasium built in 1894, & a head master's house, available for 16 boarders: William John Greenstreet, M.A., head master; Ernest P. Barret, B.A., Matthew Hughes, B.A, A. H. Bartlett & John Albert Blair, B.A., assistant masters; F, Winterbotham, clerk to the governors. The school is managed by a body of governors, of whom two are to be hereditary representatives of the Marling family.
School of Science & Art, Lansdown; Tom Newsome, master; William Henry Cox Fisher, hon. sec, & W.J. Smith, art master.
School attendance committee
Meets friday, monthly, at the Board Room, John street. Clerk, Frederick Winterbotham, Rowcroft, Stroud; Attendance Officers, Albert Bailey, Stroud; & John Hall, Stonehouse
A School Board of 7 members was formed June 29, 1881 ; Frederick Winterbotham, 5 Rowcroft, clerk to the board; Henry Munday, Stroud, attendance officer.
Castle street (girls & infants), built in 1844 & enlarged in 1881 at a cost of £600, for 387 children; average attendance, 188 girls & 125 infants; Miss Catherine Smith, girls' mistress; Mrs Hannah Peer, infants' mistress.
Church street (boys), built in 1883 at a cost of about £3,700, enlarged in 1897, for 270 boys; average attendance, 235 ; George Harper Ferneley, master.
Parliament street (mixed), built in 1884 at a cost of about £3,000, enlarged in 1898, for 330 children; average attendance, 180; Miss Alice Dore LL.A, mistress; infants', for 130 children; average attendance, 124; Miss Emily Grist, infants' mistress.
Stroud End (under Painswick School Board) (mixed), built in 1870, for 186 children; average attendance, 186; WilIiam E. Butland, master.
Slad road (girls & infants), built in 1840, for 148 girls & 80 infants; average attendance, 80 girls & 40 infants; Mrs Georgina Collins, mistress.
Catholic (voluntary) (mixed), Beeches green, built 1882, for 120 children; average attendance, 100; the children are taught by the Dominican sisters of St. Rose's Convent
Great Western, Richard Roberts, station master. Midland, Edwin Allen, station master.
Parcels receiving houses
- Great Western Railway, R. T. Smith & Co. agents, 11 Kendrick street
- Midland Railway, Kendrick street, W. Gerard, manager
- Sutton & Co., John Roberts, agent, Town hall
- General Carrier for Stroud and surrounding villages, R. T. Smith & Co., 11 Kendrick street
There is good service of 'busses daily, from Stroud to Nailsworth, Woodchester, Stonehouse, Painswick, Chalford, Brimscombe &c
- Arlingham George Phillips, Royal George tap, fri
- Avening Fowles, Railway hotel, mon & fri
- Bisley-with-Lypiatt Mrs. Hunt, 'Swan,' 1 p.m. daily
- Brimscombe, Cainscross, Chalford, Dudbridge, Eastington, Ebley, Minchinbampton, Nailsworth, Painswick, Stonehouse & Woodchester, R. T. Smith & Co., 11 Kendrick street
- Chalford Eddels, & Townsend Brothers, George street ('bus), daily
- Eastington Miles, Royal George tap, daily
- Gloucester Thomas Dangerfield, Gloucester st. daily; Pegler, Church street, mon wed, fri. & sat
- Kingstanley Flight, Royal George tap, daily
- Leonard Stanley Spratt, Railway hotel, twice daily
- Miserden John Heyden, Royal George tap, tues & fri 4 p.m
- Nailsworth J. Davis, Imperial hotel, twice daily
- Oakridge Whiting, Royal George tap, mon wed. fri.& sat
- Painswlck M. E. Ireland, daily, from Imperial hotel
- Sheepscombe G. West, George tap, daily (except thurs.) at 4 p.m.
- Stonehouse H. Eddels, Railway hotel, daily; & Pegler, Church street, daily
- Woodchester Mark Soul, Royal George hotel, daily